Re: [css-masking] clip-path with invalid url

On Dec 13, 2013, at 7:49 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> Then please investigate currently-implemented behavior. But please also
>>> raise this to the WG, as the implementors might decide they don't like
>>> the currently-implemented behavior.
>>
>> I checked the behavior on Firefox, Safari and Chrome. (IE just supports clip-path and mask on SVG which does not have stacking contexts.)
>>
>> All implementations create a stacking context for clip-path on HTML even if the url() is “invalid”. Means the fragment identifier does not exists, resource is not loaded or does not point to an <clipPath> element. I also tested the behavior on ‘mask’ with the same result.
>>
>> In all cases the three engines WebKit, Gecko and Blink do create a stacking context.
>>
>> Now it is up the implementations if they want to change the behavior. Given that all implementations are consistent, I do not expect that to happen.
>
> That's the correct behavior anyway - we shouldn't be basing things
> like stacking contexts on used-value time information, which network
> requests qualify as whenever possible.

A question that we had recently on Firefox was: You have a url() that is valid at parse time but actually does not reference anything existent. Is the computed value “none” or the url()? I would again assume the latter but would like to have a clarification.

Greetings,
Dirk