Re: Beginning of a spec on style batching/flushing?

On 12/11/13 9:35 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> And an implementatjon that in fact synchronously does the render on snapshot()
> (which sounds like it would not violate your constraints)

Actually, is that true?

Specifically, are the following black-box distinguishable in any way
other than when transitions start:

1)  A UA that implements your proposed model.
2)  A UA that synchronously does restyle, layout, render when
     snapshot() is called.
3)  A UA that synchronously does restyle and layout, construct a data
     structure that can be used to render, and hand off to an async
     renderer when snapshot() is called.
4)  A UA that takes a snapshot of all DOM/CSSOM state when snapshot()
     is called and then does an async restyle/layout/render off that
     snapshot (which might in fact be your proposed model).

I suspect that other than transition starts these 4 are in fact
indistinguishable.  Transition starts allow distinguishing 1&4 from 2&3
but not 1 from 4 or 2 from 3, right?

-Boris