Re: Proposal: will-animate property

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Ali Juma <ajuma@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Even if we could automatically infer (from "will-animate: height" on the
>> blue boxes) that the green boxes would be moving, we wouldn't be able to
>> differentiate between the first box (whose content is fixed, and hence
>> worth caching in a layer) and the second box (whose contents are not fixed,
>> and hence wasteful to cache in a layer) without a hint from the author.
>>

> It seems to me that the best solution for this example is to specify
> will-animate:volatile (actually I dislike that name, but whatever) on the
> second green box to indicate that its contents change.

Agreed, that sounds like the right approach for this. In the future we
might want to consider also having a "will-animate: non-volatile" so that
we can distinguish between elements whose content never changes and those
whose content sometimes changes (but doesn't change enough to warrant
"volatile").

I think the current state of the proposal (where the recognized values for
will-animate are css properties, "scroll-position", and "volatile") looks
good.