Re: [css-color] Safari 7 is color-managing CSS colors?

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can you tell me where the color workflow is defined?
>> > For instance, it is defined that all CSS colors should be tagged with an
>> > sRGB profile. Image can optionally have a tag as well.
>>
>> Not quite.  It's currently allowed for CSS colors to be unmanaged, if
>> untagged images are also unmanaged, and so they just get blasted into
>> the monitor's gamut without adjustment.  It's just tagged images that
>> have to be managed right now.
>>
>> > How are those colors actually mapped when going to screen?
>> > I believe that in the case of Core Graphics, everything is drawn into a
>> > sRGB
>> > device which is then mapped to the output device.
>> > So, a tagged imaged would go: Image profile -> sRGB -> monitor profile.
>> > Assuming that the output device is properly calibrated, you would get
>> > the
>> > same colors everywhere.
>> >
>> > Is this how it's supposed to work? Or is a tagged image supposed to go
>> > the monitor profile directly?
>>
>> That's how it's supposed to work, yes.  Anything else is really bad,
>> because it means you're leaking color profiles all over intermediate
>> stages.
>

> So, should it go directly to the monitor profile, or use sRGB as an
> in-between?
> It makes a big difference.

Sorry, my answer had a parallel structure to your question, so I
assumed it was clear.

The colors should be sRGB internally, until the last moment when
they're sent to the display.

Trying to store colors in a monitor profile before that is just
terrible, as it means you have to do tricky things when a window moves
between monitors (or crosses them!).

It also means that things that can examine the colors, like a <canvas>
with an image painted into it, see a weird result, which is also a
pretty major entropy link for fingerprinting purposes.

>> > Can you specify the rendering intent anywhere?
>>
>> I don't think there's a need to?
>
> Maybe not, but you need to define it somewhere if there's mapping between
> colorspaces. Perceptual is probably a reasonable default.

Ah, yeah, definitely.