Re: CSS and spec fragmentation

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com> wrote:
> >From my observations CSS has long started to suffer from its modular
> approach, and we now seem to deal with a rather severe problem of spec
> fragmentation.
>
> As this affects HTML too (where I’ll bring this up as well, honoring
> the different groups’ preferences) I’ve elaborated on this issue in a
> short post:
>
> http://meiert.com/en/blog/20131205/spec-fragmentation/
>
> On the CSS side, some of the options I see (explained in said post) include:
>
> * Extend the W3C’s main CSS overview page [1] by including and
> maintaining a full list of all CSS specs, both at the W3C *and
> elsewhere*.
>
> * Make an effort to reduce the number of current specs and modules to
> a workable minimum.
>
> * Consider establishing principles around the desired granularity and
> complexity of CSS as a whole.
>
> I like to raise this so that the issue is flagged and that there can
> be a healthy debate. I’m traveling but will follow along and add where
> I can.

Yeah, we need to solve this problem, but it has to be with
tooling/information. The current granularity of specs is good for
maintenance and Process, it just makes it hard to navigate things if
you don't already have it all in your head.

It's not hard to solve the problem, but nobody's taken the effort yet. :/