Re: Proposal: will-animate property

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:46 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:

>  With your suggested
>> changes, applying a transform to an item will still cause the popup to pop
>> under the other items (since applying a transform makes the item a
>> stacking
>> context).
>>

> Did you test my changes or just assume that they would not work? A demo.
>
> http://css-class.com/test/temp/transform-stacking.htm

I tested your changes in Chrome, replacing "transform" with
"-webkit-transform". Applying a transform to the item with the popup does
cause the popup to drop under the other items (I also tested with your
posted demo, again replacing transform with -webkit-transform, with the
same results). In Firefox, your demo works when the transform is only on
exactly one item, but not when multiple items (say item 3 and item 4) have
transforms.

I think this illustrates an important point: there are situations where
authors want to move things around but cannot do so in a straightforward
way using properties that create stacking contexts, so instead they animate
using things like left and top; we need to make sure that in these
situations, authors can use will-animate in a way that doesn't break their
content (that is, in a way that doesn't create the stacking context they're
trying to avoid in the first place).