Re: [cssom] Drop support for alternative stylesheets?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:
> I'm a little less convinced that the entire mechanism is broken.
> The APIs for changing between alternate style sheet sets could
> certainly be used by sites to implement theme switching, and
> user-configurable theming is reasonably common.  How does this
> mechanism compare to the mechanisms sites use now in performance and
> ease of use?  (Probably the mechanisms sites use today are better in
> terms of network bandwidth usage, since I suspect they generally
> don't download the styles for the themes that are not being used.)

That's definitely one benefit the hand-rolled solutions have, yes.

Another probably-more-important consideration was listed by Simon in
the first message - the alternate style sheet selection doesn't
persist across navigations.  If you want to change to an alternate
style sheet for an entire site, you have to repeatedly reselect the
alternative every time you move pages.  Hand-rolled ones typically
persist the style choice in a cookie or similar and keep it active the
entire time you're on the site, and often across visits.