Re: [css3-fonts] superscript vs. ordinal vs. superior

On 08/29/2013 05:16 PM, fantasai wrote:

> P.S. Tangent comments: Wikipedia has this nice image:
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sub_super_num_dem.svg
>
>    * It looks like we've covered 3/4 of the possibilities. Is there
>      an OpenType feature for the last one, too?
>
>    * Are there consistent names for the different positions?
>      If ordn isn't actually used only for ordinal numbers, maybe
>      we should adopt a different name, even though it doesn't match
>      as well to the OpenType tag?

Fwiw, I'm not seeing much consistency by running a few quick searches,
but QuarkXPress distinguishes between the two thus:

   SUPERIOR
     A type style with a reduced size; when the Superior
     type style is applied, the top of text aligns with the
     cap height of the adjacent text.
   SUPERSCRIPT
     A type style with a reduced size that is raised above
     its baseline.

   http://planetquark.com/images/library/5/QXP5_UserGuide.pdf pp630

So one possibility is to copy that, going with
   font-variant-position: normal | subscript | superscript | superior

~fantasai