Re: [cssom] Drop support for alternative stylesheets?

On 29 August 2013 22:59, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Okay, so the difficulty is entirely on your end, not anything
> >> intrinsic to the platform; you refuse to learn what minimal amount of
> >> JS is required to work around the lack.  That's not really a problem
> >> we need to worry about, since web development includes JS as a matter
> >> of course, and has for over a decade.
> >
> > Tab, it is possible to disagree with people without being this rude
> > about it.  Simon asked a question, Felix provided an answer, and you
> > jumped all over Felix.  Whether or not this is what you actually
> > believe, you are giving the impression that (a) your mind is made up
> > and cannot be changed, and (b) nobody should even *try* to argue with
> > you.
>
> To be fair, Felix opened with a personal attack on me, impugning my
> motives for supporting the change.
>
> But you're right, I was rude and it wasn't called for.  I could have
> expressed the sentiment in a kinder way.
>
> ~TJ

I don't think Felix' statement was really attacking you. The conclusion he
made is not far to seek. It's easier to tell others to remove the feature
instead of having to implement it by yourself.
Though of course you also gave reasonable arguments for your opinion.

Personally I believe the low percentage on sites using alternative style
sheets is having reasons:
1. The web authors don't know this feature exists or tend to forget about
it.
2. The sites don't need them.

The former is due to missing implementations and a lack of resources
telling about it. The latter can have more reasons, e.g. it's time
consuming to create several style sheets for one site or there's a
corporate design.

The JavaScript argument doesn't count, IMO, because some pages must work
without JavaScript or the browser doesn't support it. Though it's also not
coercing to allow switching between different style sheets.

Sebastian