Re: [css3-fonts] font-size-adjust auto issue

On 2013-08-26 14:47 (GMT+1000) Andrew Cunningham composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> There is no requirement that users suffer the impediment of a user agent
> lacking such essential configurability.

> In essence true, but then users that have this problem are likely to have
> it with all major browsers.

> If all available user agents aren't configurabl for them, then there is an
> implicit requirement that they do have to suffer such impediments.

That assumes not using any browser is not an option. Impediments often cause
people to just not use any internet at all, among which not merely legal
blindness. They just say no, not because they couldn't by putting forth the
effort, but because doing it is inconvenient, or worse.

> At the moment are trying to find better ways of controlling fonts in IE,
> Firefox and Chrome on Windows.

The only ones who should be _controlling_ fonts are users. CSS is for
suggesting fonts to use, not shoving them down peoples' throats.

Speaking and using English only, I've never found it troublesome selecting a
default size in any Gecko. IE is easy enough to get close enough. Chrome's
basic usability fails my personal standards independent of its font
configurability. Consequently, whatever problems doing the same with
non-western fonts may exist are beyond my comprehension.

Dont' use Windows at all if its fonts management is inadequate. Just because
most puters come with it doesn't mean everyone is forced to keep it that way.
If I only had a choice between Windows and nothing at all, I'd take nothing.
Luckily it isn't necessary. I have a bunch of Dells that came with Windows.
Collectively they spend less than 1% of their on time booted to Windows.

If it was up to me, font size adjust might only be implemented such that only
an increase apparent in size were possible, leaving any "over" size results
unaffected. Of course if it was up to me, I'd go a lot further, making any px
unit of more than one digit applied to anything not a bitmap image invalid
and ignored. Next, font-size applied to html and/or body would be invalid, as
they constitute prima facie disrespect for the user's presumptively optimum
size, aka default. Combined, these two changes would go a very long way to
mitigate any practical value of adjusting size, automatically or otherwise,
based on any x-height deviation between a suggested font and the browser's
default font.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/