Re: [css3-fonts] font-size-adjust auto test

Le Mer 21 août 2013 9:45, John Daggett a écrit :

> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Fonts/font-size-adjust-auto-001.html
>>
>> Would such be an adequate test for testing 'font-size-adjust: auto' ?
>
> No, not really.  You really need to have a test that uses two
> downloadable fonts

Just downloadable? Without webfont-embedding declarations?

What I mean here is that I can tune this test to declare

@font-face {
  font-family: "FontTest";
  url("support/FontTest.ttf") format("truetype");
}

@font-face {
  font-family: "FontReference";
  url("support/FontReference.ttf") format("truetype");
}

but the test would have no woff format, no eot format, no svg format.

> with a known difference in x-height.

That version of the test uses

  Liberation Sans' aspect value == 0.530
  Padauk's aspect value         == 0.430

I usually use/rely on

Compute the 'normal line-height' and the 'aspect value' of the installed
fonts (Javascript and Flash required)
http://www.brunildo.org/test/aspect-lh-table.html
http://www.brunildo.org/test/aspect-lh-table2.html
http://www.brunildo.org/test/fontlist3.html

or on

Estimating the x-height of a font
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/x-height.html

to get an installed font's aspect value.

> Using
> 'font-size-adjust: auto' should result in two glyphs with matching
> x-height.  Tweaked versions of Ahem should do the trick.  And using
> them as downloadable fonts would obviate the need to install fonts.

So, the test design was correct. The only issue was
availability/downloadability of the 2 tested fonts on the tester's
operating system.

>> Nota bene: on Firefox 23, 'font-size-adjust: auto' generates a parsing
>> error (auto is not recognized), and so declaration ignored. I will try
>> create a Windows-friendly version of that test and will try it with
>> Firefox 26a1 nightly.
>
> Firefox doesn't yet support the 'auto' value.
>
> For future reference, an easy way to determine whether a property
> value is supported or not, refer to this file:
>
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/layout/style/test/property_database.js
>
> This file contains all properties supported by Firefox and is used in
> automated testing.

Wow... there are lots of properties in there..

Thank you John :)

Gérard

--
CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011