Re: [css3-fonts] font-size-adjust auto issue

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 07:49:53 -0700
To: Andrew Cunningham <lang.support@gmail.com>
Cc: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Vladimir Levantovsky <vladimir.levantovsky@monotype.com>, W3C Style <www-style@w3.org>, "www-style@gtalbot.org" <www-style@gtalbot.org>
On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM, Andrew Cunningham
<lang.support@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/08/2013 11:37 PM, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Precisely as noted above, both (a) and (a') would be 0.55 and no size
>> adjustment would occur.
>
> Does this mean that having font-size-adjust: auto; has the same effect as
> not declaring font-size-adjust in the first place?

No.  Unfortunately John broke threading, so I can't see the full
context of his quote without pulling up the other thread manually, but
I believe he's just answering Gerard's case where none of the
specified fonts exist, and so it uses the aspect-ratio of the default
font (which is apparently Deja-Vu Sans on Gerard's system).

This really isn't complicated.  "auto" is the aspect ratio of the
default font.  That's it.  There are no exceptions or corner-cases to
think about.