Re: Request for adjustable font-size: line-fit

On 20.08.2013, at 13:40, Gunther Pilz <gunther.pilz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I vote for this, as I think that it would be highly desirable to have such an
> option for 'font-size' - not only for Responsive Web Design.
> Additionally I am of the opinion that the topic is a lot more complex ...!
>
> A value of 'line-fit' for 'font-size' will be perfectly alright for a single
> element with only an one-line text (like a heading or a button).
> Therefore the element has to have an explicitly given width (any valid value for
> width other than 'auto').
>
> But what if we have a multi-line text?
> And how about the relation with other CSS properties like 'word-wrap' and 'hyphens'?
>
> Also in most cases it will be most desirable to have some kind of 'grouping'
> possibility.
> Think about a 'classical' menu (an unordered list with several list-items).
> Therefore you would like to have the same 'font-size' for each list-item
> respectively each 'span' or 'a' element inside.
>
> At this point things become very complicated ...!
> Because this is at least a very similar case to the "Parent Selector" topic,
> which means that the direction of the "cascade"
> must be reversed (child element(s) will set the value of their parent).

This is why I asked for this as a single-line / single-element solution.
I know a multi-line experience will not be as simple and to be fair:
Multi-line isn't that kind of a common wish of developers / designers.
Single-line is pretty straight forward to specify in my opinion and therefore
could be implemented quickly.