Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Normative definition of media types

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 00:59:00 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> * Import these definitions into Level 4.
>
> I would prefer just defining "screen" and "print", then deprecating
> the rest and making them explicitly match nothing.  That matches
> today's implementations better.

Yes, I completely agree with that. These two are the only media types that
make any sense to use in practice given what implementations do, and we
don't want implementations to move away from that, as media features are a
much better tool to push to deal with the differences between various
devices / media.

If we didn't have a compatibility problem, I'd even like to replace print
with media features, but for legacy reasons, we will have to live with it.
I still want to introduce media features that make it unnecessary for
newly written pages, so that people can ignore media types entirely, and
just use features.

  - Florian