Re: [mediaqueries] Making the 'color' query static, like CSSOM colorDepth?

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 12:23 -0700, Rik Cabanier wrote:

> The PDF spec doesn't define device-dependent rendering so this change will
> actually make CSS more in line with the prepress world.

The PDF _renderer_ does of course need to know, and the person or
software creating the PDF needs to know (e.g to specify dot screen pitch
and angles). The colour gamut comes from the ICC colour profile for the
printer or other output device and is used to create the PDF.

Maybe a javascript API would be sufficient, assuming CSS tools like
Antenna House and Prince and WeasyPrint and... all support JavaScript.
But support in media queries makes sense to me too.

Black and white printers are usually one bit per pixel and (as has been
mentioned) you need to avoid or control dithering; yuo may well choose
different colours on a monochrome or greyscale device too.

Liam