Re: [mediaqueries] Making the 'color' query static, like CSSOM colorDepth?

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 07:19:46 -0700
Cc: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:13 PM, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
>> Do we need to be able to distinguish a medium capable of grayscale from a
>> medium capable only of black and white? I can see this being relevant for
>> print if nothing else, and it's not clear to me which you mean by
>> "monochrome".
>
> I doubt it.  Much like the actual color depth is fairly unimportant
> (at worst, you can dither to get close to what you specified), whether
> you're monochrome or grayscale is fairly unimportant (again, you can
> dither if necessary).

Dithering to get grayscale can look pretty bad, and would be a good reason to know the device capabilities if you knew that was a high probability, so you could deliver a very high-contrast version of the design instead. You probably wouldn't use that for pages on the general Web, but it might be a factor if you are using Web technologies in some other vertical application like equipment displays in a factory or something.

If current browsers are ignoring color depth, it doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful for them to do the right thing, when they can.