Re: [css3-page] Styling elements differently based on whether they appear on a left or right page

On Aug 1, 2013, at 2:19 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:

> Le 31/07/2013 20:39, Brad Kemper a ¨¦crit :
>> On Jul 31, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
>>> Even this has its limitations. For example, the third fragment of
>>> an element could not be a table while everything else is inline,
>>> that just doesn¡¯t make sense.
>>
>> I can't see why not. I mean, that particular example sounds unlikely,
>> but not undoable. I would certainly hope a fragment could be a block
>> on one page (say, the first page) and a grid item or table cell on
>> the next page. I hope I could set the body element to use different
>> grid templates (or different row/column definitions) on different
>> pages; that would be extremely useful.
>
> Just thinking about implementing this makes me cry inside.

Sorry, but it seems to me like one of the most important features to go with the feature of having different :first, :right, and :left pages: having different layouts for each. You see it all the time in magazines.

Is it that much worse than flowing overflow content from one display type to another in regions? I see now that regions is currently limited to block containers (the examples seem to include table elements, so perhaps 'block' here means non-inline). Maybe not every display type needs to be supported, but I can certainly see strong use cases for flowing between blocks and grid areas. Thus, content that started out as nodes of a block would overflow into another region or page, where it would be wrapped in a pseudo-element that could be styled as a grid item, if that second region or page had display:grid on it.