Re: [css-multicol] Overflowing floats issue

Simon Sapin wrote:

 > > I suggest that the multicol specification remains silent on the issue
 > > of content reordering
 >
 > As an implementor reading specs, a spec remaining silent on an issue is
 > the worst that I can get because I have no idea[1] whether the editors
 > and the working group have even considered the issue. I’d much rather
 > have something explicitly marked undefined.

Page breaks are marked as undefined in CSS 2.1:

  CSS 2.1 does not define which of a set of allowed page breaks must
  be used; CSS 2.1 does not forbid a user agent from breaking at every
  possible break point, or not to break at all. But CSS 2.1 does
  recommend that user agents observe the following heuristics (while
  recognizing that they are sometimes contradictory):

  - Break as few times as possible.
  - Make all pages that do not end with a forced break appear to have about the same height.
  - Avoid breaking inside a replaced element.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/page.html#best-page-breaks

css3-multicol says:

  The problem of breaking content into columns is similar to breaking content into pages.

  http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-breaks

If you prefer, we can make an explicit reference to CSS 2.1 section
13.3.5 from section 5 in the multicol spec?

But I don't think we can fulle describe column breaking in the
multicol spec -- we'd like for column breaking and page breaking to
remain together, and prescribing special rules for columns will not
make things easier for implementors.

Also, we don't have consensus on what to specify (as expressed by Sylvain).

BTW, the major issue preventing the multicol spec from moving along is
lack of reviewers for submitted tests. I'm going through the submitted
tests but don't feel like reviewing them as most were submitted by
Opera. Here's a log of recent changes:

  http://hg.csswg.org/test

Cheers,

-h&kon