Re: [css3-multicol] Column rule outside element and overflow behavior

Simon Pieters wrote:

 > Consider a multicol element with a column rule that extends outside the
 > element. If an ancestor has overflow:auto set, and the column rule extends
 > outside that ancestor as well, should the rule just be clipped or should
 > it cause the ancestor to gain a scrollbar? Opera/Firefox/Chrome just clip.
 > I'm not sure how this is handled in the spec currently, if at all.
 >
 > http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/2207

The spec says:

  Column rules do not take up space. That is, the presence or
  thickness of a column rule will not alter the placement of anything
  else. If a column rule is wider than its gap, the adjacent column
  boxes will overlap the rule, and the rule may possibly extend
  outside the box of the multicol element.

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-multicol/#column-gaps-and-rules

I think "does not alter the placement of anything else" implies that
scrollbars should not be added.

Cheers,

-h&kon