Re: [css3-multicol] Proposed edit for the pseudo-algorithm

Le 10/04/2013 19:18, Bert Bos a écrit :
> [Omitted discussion about the edits to section 3.4[1] of the current CR
> that make the used values of 'column-count' and 'column-width' undefined
> for elements whose width depends on their intrinsic width, as decided[2]
> by the WG in February.)

That is not what’s going on. The changes are:

* The used values of column-width and column-count properties are based
on the used value of the width property, not on a new concept called
"available width" (which was not the same as what CSS 2.1 calls
available width in the shrink-to-fit algorithm.)

* Determining the used width is out of scope for this module. (It
depends on whether the element is a normal block, a float, a flex item,
etc.)

* The min-content and max-content widths, aka. preferred minimum width
and preferred width, which may or may not influence the used width of a
multicol element or of its ancestors, are undefined in this module/level
(although it’s in scope.)

That said …

> There have not been any comments since Fantasai's, as far as I know, and
> I agree with hers, so I made a new text that includes her edits. See the
> attachment.

Yes, this set of changes matches what we discussed in Lyon and in
Tucson. Please go ahead and apply them in the editor’s draft.

> I think the next step is for the WG to approve it.

We already have a WG resolution, which you linked to, for this change:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Feb/0471.html

> And, if approved, the step after that is to decide how to publish it. We
> may need a WD before we publish a new CR.

I think we should discuss not just how to publish this set of changes in
a WD or CR, but the editor’s draft. The Mercurial log show 15 changes
since the 2011-04-12 CR, at least two of which normative.

--
Simon Sapin