Re: [css-masking] Editorial: Intro / Interactions / Definitions

On 03/13/2013 01:19 PM, Dirk Schulze wrote:

>> Your markup is very confused:
>> Perhaps some other convention than what you're using is needed to distinguish
>> CSS property names from markup element names? In the CSS specs we tend to
>> wrap element names in angle brackets instead of quotes, for instance.
>
> I fully agree with you. However, this is a requirement of the preprocessor of the SVG specification to link to the relevant sections in SVG. I need to check with Cameron how to improve this. In SVG2 elements have a different styling (red), which does not seem to be accessible for me.

OK. I think you really do need to find some way to style elements and properties
differently, though. Right now the spec is very confusing.

Additional comments on the intro:

   # A mask is applied using the ‘mask’, ‘mask-image’ or ‘mask-box-image’ properties.

S/A mask is/Masks are/ ? You can use these properties together, right?

   # The effect of applying a mask is as if the mask images ...

This paragraph should probably shift up above the one detailing the various
methods of applying a mask, so that we know what one is before we start
learning how to apply one. :)

   # Clipping defines a visible region of a visual element.

It's not clear to me what the difference is between masking and clipping.
Probably this should be made clear if there is one. (If not, then maybe
define the terms as synonymous or something...)

> I agree, I'll work on an easier introduction and upload it within the
>  next three days.

Let me know when you get around to this.

~fantasai