Re: [css3-transitions] Frame Rate

On 15 September 2012 04:31, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> I think Sylvain got it: it's to simulate low end hardware on high end
> hardware (ie: making sure the anim is acceptable and the jigger isn't too
> awful).

I don't think it is. I strongly suspect this is about working with
animators who are creating content in traditional animation tools,
like Flash or ToonBoom, who work at a traditional framerate of 24p
[1]. If/when their animations are converted to CSS, the browser will
play it at as high a framerate as possible, interpolating between the
keyframes. This can result in a different "feel" to the fluidity of
the animation, which will be particularly noticable to the animators
who spent many hours working on it. You could argue this is a workflow
issue, and they should switch to animating at 60fps, but some may be
resistant to this, especially if they are deliberately trying to
recreate the feel of traditional film and broadcast animation.

It's worth noting that audiences can notice these things as well. The
ability of different framerates to add or subtract to an experience
has recently been in the news due to Peter Jackson's decision to film
and show the film The Hobbit in both 24fps and 48fps [2]. Some
audience members reponded quite negatively to preview footage of the
48fps version.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p
[2] http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/28/editorial-48-fps-hobbit-preview-high-frame-rates/

Jon Rimmer