Re: [css-variables] Non-inherited custom properties (Issue 5)

One case could be if you would like to flag an element, but not have the
same applied to nested elements. For example, highlighting a moderator in a
nested list of messages:

.moderator {
    var-highlight-color: #fe6;
}

.message {
    background-color: var(highlight-color, #eee);
}

This would also apply the highlight to the nested message, which is not
intended. With components, this becomes even more interesting, as you would
want to inherit across the shadow boundary, but not within the main DOM
(e.g., just replace <div> with <x-message> above).

That said, there should be a workaround in that one can just reset the
variable at every applicable element and have that overridden by more
specific rules:

.message {
    var-highlight-color: initial;
    background-color: var(highlight-color, #eee);
    // using a fallback in case more specific rule may reset to 'initial'
as well
}

.message.moderator {
    var-highlight-color: #fe6;