Re: <select> elements are the last of the system widgets to require hacky styling

> <select> is definitely not the last - the <input type=date> popup, for
> example, works similarly.

Also radio buttons and checkboxes are not stylable by common browsers like
Firefox and Chrome (while they are in IE and Opera).

There should definitely be a clear specification for this.

And I think the solution to this is pretty clear:
UAs are responsible for how form fields are displayed. I.e. if a mobile
device displays <select> options as modal dialog, it should simply ignore
the styling. While desktop browsers can (and must) interpret them.

That being said having a modal dialog for select options could still allow
styling e.g. the borders, the background and foreground color etc.

Sebastian