Re: [css3-syntax][css21] More problems with determining the character encoding

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> > For
> > example, say you have a referencing document encoded with JIS X 0201,
> which
> > looks like US-ASCII except for 0x5C, which, instead of REVERSE SOLIDUS
> > (backslash), denotes YEN SIGN.
>
> Fortunately, JIS X 0201 is not relevant on the Web.
>
> It’s not included in the Encoding Standard. It is not supported by
> Gecko. I didn’t bother checking other browsers.
>
> I request that the WG make it non-conforming to encode a text/css
> resource in JIS X 0201 and make it non-conforming for a CSS
> implementation to support decoding text/css as JIS X 0201. The easiest
> way to do this would be by reference to the Encoding Standard.

Before considering declaring something as non-conformant that may very well
be used in current practice, it seems you need to provide some statistics
about its current usage. And as I said before, we can't declare it
non-conformant for an implementation to support an encoding we would prefer
not to be used.