Re: [CSS21] Question on height of inline-block (possible error in § 10.6.6)

On 13/10/2012 09:46, Anton Prowse wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 22:52, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Le Ven 12 octobre 2012 4:46, Anton Prowse a écrit :
>>>
>>> Now, there /is/ a descent
>>> area somewhere... but there's nothing in it, so it's invisible ;-).  In
>>> fact, the descent area is precisely what bleeds out of the bottom of the
>>> line box, as follows.
>>
>> Euh... no. In my mind, descent area is not bottom-half-leading here
>
> It is when the line box bottom edge coincides with the baseline, as in
> your test case.  To be precise, the bottom (and top) half leading is
> negative but has the same magnitude as the descender space.

Sorry, ignore that last clause of my second sentence. In the situation
described, the half-leading of the strut (which is the distance between
the bottom content edge of the descender space and the zero-height
"guide box") is typically bigger in magnitude than the descender space
(since in most fonts the descender space D is less than the
characteristic height A above the baseline), and it is negative.

My other statements in that post still stand.

Cheers,
Anton Prowse
http://dev.moonhenge.net