Re: position: pointer

I agree the use case needs to be addressed, but I'm not sure about the position proposal. This only addresses a very limited number of use cases. For instance, suppose we have a radial gradient and we want its center to follow the mouse pointer [1]. Or, a shadow that moves its offsets as the mouse moves, to look more natural [2]. Or the infamous parallax effect. We still won't be able to do things like that.

I think the most flexible solution would be a new unit (e.g. mx for horizontal and my for vertical) that describes the offsets of the mouse from the viewport. Akin to vw and vh, 100mx would represent the horizontal offset of the mouse from the left edge of the viewport and my the vertical offset from the top. Not sure if scrolling should affect this or not.

That way, position: pointer would be:
position: absolute; /* or fixed */
left: 100mx;
top: 100my;