Re: Float clearing a float when inside a self-collapsing block with margin-top

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:12:46 +0100, Robert Hogan <robhogan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So with this in mind, it's not clear to me what, in the spec, forces
>> the black float to only go as far as the top border edge of its parent
>> (so that it clears the blue float completely) rather than the outer
>> top of its parent as it would normally do (where it will avoid the
>> blue float rather than clear it).
>

> I'm not sure why you say that's what it would normally do. The top of the
> black float may not go higher up than the content edge of its parent, per
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#float-rules> and
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#containing-block-details>.

Can you be more specific where it says it can't go higher than the
content edge of the parent?

At http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#float-rules I can only see
it state that the outer top (i.e. the margin edge) is the limit and
that the float must be placed as high as possible.