Re: animate/transition height to/from auto

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll correct my previous statement:
> >
> > I think transitions should happen with resolved values.
>
> You really don't.  "resolved value" is a legacy hack, defined just to
> make it easier to talk about getComputedStyle().  It's incredibly
> inconsistent; a handful of properties from 2.1 return their used
> values, while all other properties return their computed values,
> including ones that act similarly to 2.1 properties.

I agree about the hack. I got very confused because I assumed that
'getComputedStyle' would return the 'computed value'.
Maybe the css 2.1 spec should change so it no longer uses 'computed value'.
If someone then talks about 'computed value',  you'd know that they are
using the obsolete definition.

I believe people would want the transition to happen between the values
that 'getComputedStyle()' returns (whatever that is called).
This site seems to emulate animation to 'auto' that way:
http://css-tricks.com/snippets/jquery/animate-heightwidth-to-auto/

> > This thread started of with users asking for this feature so it would be
> > nice if we can come up with some level of support which can be
> implemented
> > and documented.
>
> I agree that it would be great.  But it's not trivial. ^_^

Nothing that involves layout is :-)