Re: The CSS Problem

On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 18:46 -0800, Jens O. Meiert wrote:
> > > <http://meiert.com/en/blog/20121112/the-css-problem/>.
> >
> > You don't suggest an alternative.
>
> I believe I do, by suggesting a different focus on the Working Group
> side (what is critical, and hence, implied, what can be removed?), and
> also more focus on the community side (how can we get the most out of
> CSS without constantly screaming “more, more”?).

You suggested directions, yes, but not necessarily how to achieve
them...

There's already the prioritization, but, what's inessential bloat for
one community is drop-dead essential for another equally large
community.

Nothing that has been implemented can be removed without breaking
content.

My own feeling is that the CSS WG needs to split into task forces, since
magazine publishing, application development, ebooks, hypertext
documents and Hollywood Hypermedia Infotainment/Brainwashing all have
close overlap and yet distinct needs. But that's my own feeling, it's
it's very clearly not generally agreed in the CSS WG.

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ - the barefoot typographer