Re: [css3-conditional] Consolidating css3-mediaqueries and css3-conditional [Was]: Normativity of media queries

On Thursday 2012-10-25 11:20 +0200, Florian Rivoal wrote:
> While we are at it, do you think you could pull the definition of
> media_query_list from css3-mediaqueries into css3-conditional?
> Essentially, all of section 3 and 3.1 could be moved to
> css3-conditional.
>
> That way, all the syntactic aspects of media queries would be fully
> normatively described in css3-conditional. This would simplify
> css4-mediaqueries a lot, as it would only need to define media types
> and media features, and the semantics, but it could leave the syntax
> entirely to css3-conditional. Without any (indirect) dependency on
> css3-mediaqueries, that spec could be completely superseded.

Advantages of moving media queries syntax to Conditional Rules:
 * Keep the similar microsyntaxes (@supports syntax and media query
   syntax) together in one draft.
 * We'd be able to apply the improvements incorporated in @supports
   syntax (negation, more flexibility with conjunction and
   disjunction) to media query syntax sooner rather than later

Disadvantages:
 * We might end up holding up @supports in order to apply the syntax
   changes to media query syntax.
 * There are a bunch of other things referring to media queries, and
   it might not be obvious they'd need to update their references;
   it would be a bit confusing to have a spec for media queries but
   have the syntax for media queries actually defined elsewhere.
 * having one Level 3 spec (Conditional) replace part of another
   Level 3 spec (Media Queries) could be a bit confusing

So I think I'm leaning towards saying that it ought to stay in the
media queries spec, but I could be convinced otherwise.

-David