Re: [css-device-adapt] CSS Device Adaptation and Screen Orientation API

On 08/11/12 15:09, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I think it makes sense having both. CSS is about presentation and I
> believe that orientation is part of that, where as the lockOrientation
> is a way to set the orientation as a result of a user action (which
> probably should be restricted if the orientation is set via CSS).
>
> Setting orientation via CSS works well together with media queries. For
> instance you can make a layout of a online magazine that works in
> landscape and portrait, but the landscape mode might not work well on
> sizes less than the size of a 8" tablet so for those you set orientation
> to portrait only.

The issue is that I doubt any UA will allow any random web page to force
the orientation without a user interaction, especially if the browser
isn't fullscreen. I'm not aware of a declarative way to go fullscreen
yet so it might make this feature not implemented by most UA.
But again, I will not fight to have it removed, I just doubt that we
(Mozilla) will implement that any time soon and likely never if the
context stays the same.

> I don't mind adding support for portrait-primary, etc, but if we add
> that they should be supported by the (orientation: *) media features as
> well.

Florian, do you think we could add those to CSS Media Queries
orientation values?

--
Mounir