Re: [css-masking] 'mask' with resource and image references (was: [css4-images] support for SVG Paint Servers without element())

On Nov 6, 2012, at 5:06 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:
>> The current syntax for 'mask' is : <mask-source> | <mask-layer>#
>>
>> So it depends on the values passed to the property, if the 'mask-image' logic is used (same as for 'background'), or if we use SVG masking.
>
> Just remove the <mask-source> alternative. "mask:url(foo.svg#abc)" gets parsed to a mask-image value of url(foo.svg#abc). When rendering, since the mask-image value is a url() with a fragment identifier, it should be treated as a reference to an SVG <mask>.

This is difficult because of multiple reasons:

<mask-source> does not only allow URLs, but also the 'child' keyword and the child selector.

The image on the 'mask-image' property gets clipped by the 'mask-clip' property, repeated by the 'mask-repeat' property and positioned by the 'mask-origin' property. All these properties do not apply on <mask> references.

A combination of images and mask references for the 'mask-image' property is not defined by the model for 'mask-image'. It is unclear how both can be combined and I actually don't think that this is a very good idea. Both 'mask-image' and <mask> have there use cases independent of each other.

Greetings,
Dirk