Re: <select> elements are the last of the system widgets to require hacky styling

Somewhat related: A few folks have gotten together to loosely define a
proposal to upgrade the <select> element:

https://github.com/h5bp/lazyweb-requests/issues/92

The motivation is primarily to improve the UX of the form control, though
styleability is always prioritized as a complementary goal.
In fact, a recent poll of 302 developers identified form control
styleability as the #2 priority amongst 125 suggestions:
http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=200e26&t=200e26.40&f=200e26.6783fd

I may be finding a few developers to work with me on better defining this
proposal soon, though it'd mostly fall outside of the scope of this
particular WG, so we'll bring it up within WHATWG/html-wg.