Re: [css-variables] CSS Variables are a NEW kind of variable

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Divya Manian <manian@adobe.com> wrote:
> On 5/30/12 7:04 PM, "Sylvain Galineau" <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>Not to prove that everyone's preference is someone else's ugly but I can't
>>stand the x-convention. If we're going to have a prefix why not make it
>>something
>>readable. For instance:
>>
>>       :root { define-link-color: blue }
>>       a { color: $link-color }
>>
>>...is imo a reasonable balance: terse at the point of use and very
>>explicit at
>>the point of declaration since there should be many of the former for
>>each of
>>the latter.
>
> We cant have two different 'prefix'es. It is just one to refer to a
> variable. The very idea of mixing up a function with a name('define') is
> completely confusing.

I've come to strongly agree with you.  I'm in the middle of a rewrite
to accommodate some of the changes I'd suggested, like $foo for using
a var, and when I'm changing an example I have to *fight* to keep
myself from saying "color: $var-main-color;".

~TJ