RE: [css-variables] Level 3

[François REMY:]

Yes, the level is a module version number, not a CSS version number. As
long as CSS fit in one spec the Level did reflect a CSS-wide level. Now
that CSS is broken into modules that can advance at their own pace the
level is obviously module-wide. As there were no variables in CSS1 or
CSS2 this particular module is level 1.

This has of course been hopelessly confused by our persistent use of css3-* URL
shorthands for a significant number of new modules that had no precedents e.g.
Grids is a level 1 module (CSS Grid Layout) but you'll find it at
http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-grid-layout/. (Which will make things interesting when
Grids does reach Level 3). We can't break those URLs but must make sure new modules
don't fall in the same trap...