Re: [css3-values][css3-lists] Case-sensitivity of user-defined identifiers

Le 15/05/2012 01:38, fantasai a écrit :
> I think we've got a handful of options here -
>
>     1. @counter-style names are always case-insensitive
>        A) via Unicode case-folding
>        B) via ASCII case-insensitivity
>
>     2. @counter-style names are always case-sensitive; UA-defined keywords are
>        simply defined for all case permutations. (Overriding one only overrides
>        the permutation given.)
>
>     3. @counter-style names are case-sensitive, except those on the UA-defined
>        list are special and are ASCII case-insensitive.

Is "UA-defined keywords" limited to the 14 keywords from CSS 2.1, or is
it all counter styles defined in an UA stylesheet?

I’d rather *not* give a special treatment to UA stylesheets (other than
in the cascade).

Form an implementation point of of view 1B. and 3. are fine.

I’d prefer to avoid 1A. because Unicode case-folding is very easy to
implement almost-but-not-quite right, and depends on a locale. (Eg. in
Python it is tempting to use the 'lower' or 'upper' method of Unicode
objects, but these only map codepoints one-to-one and are not proper
case folding.)

I disliked 2. at first, but it’s actually okay. (The implementer needs
to get a bit clever to avoid having all the permutations in memory, but
it should be doable.)

--
Simon Sapin