Re: [css-variables] Cycling between values with variables

(12/05/15 8:15), Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> In an earlier css3-values thread, Kenny brought up an example where
> the current cycle() function doesn't work.  Here's a variant
> construction of his example:
>
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> <blogpost>
>   <comments>
>     <comment id='a'>
>         foo bar
>         <comment id='b'>
>             reply
>             <comment id='c'>
>                 reply to the reply
>             </comment>
>         </comment>
>     </comment>
>   </comments>
> </blogpost>
>
> You want the <comment>s to alternate between white and silver backgrounds.

I haven't read through this mail but I want to thank you for bring up
this direction for finding the use cases of /cycle()/ (How dare I didn't
think of this!). Still, it seems that thread coloring is more
complicated than this and it might turn out that /cycle()/ isn't
suitable. For example, I think it's not likely that adjacent comments
would have the same color.

I think it's worth finding out what the the algorithm for coloring
comments on hacks.mozilla.org blog posts[1] is, but I haven't been able
to do so.

[1] say,
http://hacks.mozilla.org/2012/05/getting-snappy-performance-optimisations-in-firefox-13/#comments

Cheers,