From: François REMY
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 1:30 PM
To: Rik ; Sylvain Galineau ; Florian Rivoal ; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposition to change the prefixing policy

> Again, I state that authors should use the newest draft (or the unprefixed
> version once it is a CR). The older drafts only should be supported to
> prevent older websites from breaking. Older drafts can be used if the
> newer
> draft is not fully supported by all browsers. Everyone can look on a still
> to be made website to see which draft is supported.
>
> it should look a bit like http://caniuse.com/, but then with each draft
> vertically and the browsers horizontally.
>
> This way of prefixing could probably not be implemented until the next
> browserversion comes out. When it does it supports the older drafts, so it
> isn't needed to show at which browserversion it is supported, because all
> drafts would be supported by the newest browser.

The main issue remains: blog posts, printed books and similar resources are
static snapshots of a moment in the spec history. Most people use them, but
few will "live update" to reflect changes in support, modify recommanded
prefix. That means the code "copy-pasted" from those sources will not
necessarily be in sync with what you would like to; old prefixes won't die
easily. Also, this solution would lead to an important amount of
per-property prefixes. It'll hurt parser performance, at some point.

I'm pretty sure an intermediary approach exists between "all vendor-based"
and "all version-based".

Anyway, the best solution remains no prefix at all, as soon as possible.