Re: [css3-flexbox] Flexbox next to float

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Morten Stenshorne <mstensho@opera.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think that block-level flexboxes should behave similarily to tables or
>> new-BFC blocks, when it comes to what CSS 2.1 has to say about
>> overlapping of such boxes:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#bfc-next-to-float
>>
>> That is, I was thinking that the _border_ box of a flexbox must not
>> overlap the margin box of any floats in the same block formatting
>> context as the element itself.
>>
>> The flexbox spec (2012-05-01) is almost clear on this topic:
>>
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-flexbox/#display-flexbox
>>
>> by saying that a flexbox establishes a new flexbox formatting context,
>> and that it is _similar_ to to a block formatting context root, in that
>> floats do not intrude into the flexbox.
>>
>> As far as I can see, only IE10 gets this completely right, while Gecko
>> and especially Webkit have issues (-webkit-flexbox has more problems
>> than -webkit-box here in my Chrome). Negative margins is the key here.

>> I suspect this is simply about implementation bugs, but perhaps the spec
>> could be a little clearer?
>
> I think it's just impl bugs.  I'm not sure how to produce a better
> phrasing, unfortunately.

I was thinking that you could mention that it's the _border box_ of the
flexbox that should not overlap with the margin box of any surrounding
floats.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----
---- Office: +47 23693206 ---- Cellular: +47 93440112 ----