Re: [css3-animations] `alternate-reverse` vs `alternate reverse`

On 5/5/12 19:16, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> So the set of possible values would be:
> normal
> alternate
> reverse
> alternate reverse
> reverse alternate
Yes.
> Is that right? I can see how I no longer need to remember whether alternate
> comes first or last but if it looks like a toggle then I'd also expect
> alternate normal to do something and it wouldn't. So while there is a bit of
> extra user-friendliness it seems specific to this one keyword. Or did I get
> the intent and grammar wrong?
My proposed grammar left combinations of `normal` and the other keywords
out, but I don’t have a strong opinion on it. I think we need more input
about whether such combinations facilitate learning or confuse authors.
Functionality-wise, they are completely redundant, so consistency and
learnability are the only possible benefits.

To be clear, we’re talking about these 4 combinations:
alternate normal
normal alternate
reverse normal
normal reverse

Consistency-wise, I think existing CSS properties usually allow `normal`
to be combined with other keywords, as long as disambiguation is
possible. For example, the following declaration is perfectly valid
(albeit needlessly verbose), even in CSS1:

font: normal normal normal 100%/normal normal;

--
Lea Verou (http://lea.verou.me | @LeaVerou)