Re: [css3-writing-modes] before/after terminology alternative?

On May 2, 2012, at 2:18 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:

> [fantasai:]
>>
>> We're pretty settled on start/end for the logical inline directions, but
>> most people aren't that thrilled with before/after for the logical block
>> directions. Someone suggested head/tail as an alternative. Would that be
>> clearer? Do we want to switch?
>>
>>   margin-before/margin-after vs. margin-head/margin-tail
>>
>>   caption-side: before/after vs. caption-side: head/tail
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
> I'm not thrilled with before/after for block direction given that ::before
> and ::after usually end up behaving as ::start/::end, which is confusing.

I don't know about "usually". I know display:inline is the default for those pseudo-elements, but in my experience, I almost always either set them to display:block or abspos them to some other location entirely.

Personally, I prefer the terms apex/nadir. But I do t expect anyone to agree with me there.