Re: [CSS21] Errata to disallow 'inherit' after comma in 'font-family'

On 05/02/2012 12:43 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Hello,
>
> {
>     Tab: 2.1 in font-family is less strict than we probably
>     intended.
>     ... It potentially allows 'inherit' after comma in font-family.
>
>     <Elika>
>     [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Apr/0638.html
>
>     Tab: We would like a modification to disallow 'inherit'.
>
>     <David Baron>  sounds good to me
>
>     <John>  errata only, for now, correct?
>
>     <David Baron>  (to disallow inherit anywhere within a
>     font-family value)
>
>     <David Baron>  inherit keyword, that is
>
>     RESOLUTION: errata 2.1 to disallow 'inherit' after comma in
>     'font-family'
> }

My understanding of the discussion was that we would disallow 'inherit' as
an identifier in font names, regardless of its position.

> 1-
> This test
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/nightly-unstable/html4/font-family-rule-004.htm
> is still correct. Am I wrong here?

You are correct.

> 2-
> div {font-family: "inherit", serif;} /* still valid */

yes

> div {font-family: fooinherit, serif;} /* still valid */

yes

> div {font-family: foo, bar inherit, serif;} /* now invalid */

yes

> div {font-family: foo, barinheritbox, serif;} /* now invalid */

no, valid

> div {font-family: bar inherit, foo, serif;} /* still valid */

invalid

> Are those /* comments */ wrt validity correct?

I don't think so. If so, I would object to the resolution, as it makes
no sense!

~fantasai