Re: [css4-text] A non-inherited property to control behavior of whitespace-only child boxes

On 03/29/2012 07:24 PM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:

> I don't read Perl, but in any case, I heard that 'text-space-collapse:
> discard;' is mostly about fixing *existing content* and this is one such
> example.

IIRC it was mostly intended for describing MathML's behavior. And handling
other use cases like turning a list into a bunch of inline blocks without
having to strip the indentation white space out of the source.

>> Arabic. You want to make sure that the words don't run together; that
>> they are shaped independently even if the spaces are removed.
>
> U+200B prevents words from running together too, although the horizontal
> advancement of these two are different in various situations. I think it
> would be helpful if some sample examples are analyzed. Otherwise, how do
> you know in these cases words should be shaped independently if the
> spaces are removed?

The horizontal advancement of both should be zero. If it's not, file a
bug against that implementation. :) The difference is that U+200B gives
a line break opportunity whereas U+200C does not.

~fantasai