Re: Device dimensions units proposal

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 3:24 AM, w3c <w3c@maisqi.com> wrote:
> Hello to all.
> The draft at this point includes the "vw" and "vh" units, that are relative
> to the browser's viewport. They sure are useful, but I think that there's a
> need for units that are relative to the user's screen size.
>
> Let's say I have a big picture to show on a browser. I know that users with
> a big-screen (1600x900, 1920x1080, etc) will be able to see it without a
> problem, but all others will have to scroll or see only a portion of it. If
> I could set a max-size relative to device width, let's say 95dw, browsers on
> smaller screen would show the image at the biggest size possible. Of course,
> users would have to maximize the browser, but I see no problem there.
>
> This case could not be handled by the "vw" unit because that would resize
> the image whenever the user tweaked the window size. I don't see the point
> on that.
>
> max-width:100% would not solve the problem easily, either, because that
> would force me to set all the image's parents to full (browser's window)
> width, what sometimes isn't possible.
>
> I think this could be a good addition to the standard and I'm ready to
> advocate it. So, was I able to explain my point? Can I make it clearer?

Hello Filipe!

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.  If a user has
their browser non-maximized, they presumably have a reason for it, and
you should treat them the same as if the user had a smaller screen and
maximized their browser.  Why do you want to force them to maximize
their browser in order to use your site effectively?