Re: [css3-flexbox] handling whitespace between items in a flexbox (with interesting values of "white-space" property

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the feedback!

On 03/26/2012 06:23 PM, Kang-Hao (Kenny) Lu wrote:
> I'd like to see all these values to be treated the same for flexbox item
> generation: a stretch of of whitespace never generates an anonymous
> flexbox item.
>
> This is consistent with how CSS 2.1 handles whitespaces in between
> 'table-*' too.

My impression (which might be entirely off-base) is that the special
rules for whitespace handling in tables are a bit shoehorned for
backwards-compatibility with existing HTML <table> content.  So, I'm not
sure if table quirks are a good thing for us to mimic here, in a brand
new spec.

Having said that, I share your concern about what behavior authors will
expect...

> So is your proposal the easiest way to implement this in Gecko? If
> that's the case, I think it's acceptable to me too.

Collapsing whitespace unconditionally (as you suggest) is marginally
easier to implement in Gecko than my proposal, but not by enough to
really matter. I'm mostly concerned with what's sane & consistent with
the rest of CSS.

Moreover -- whichever way this ends up being settled, it will likely end
up being a precedent for other CSS specs.  In fact, the exact same
question applies to CSS3-Grid, which wraps runs of non-replaced inline
content in "anonymous grid items".  So, we should definitely consider
that when deciding.

~Daniel