Re: [css-variables] using variables in shorthands

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Mike Sherov <mike.sherov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the problem, but this question
> sounds like its similar to what getComputedStyle and "resolved value"
> does.

Unfortunately, you are misunderstanding the problem. ;_;

The issue is that shorthands expand into their longhands at
specified-value time (before inheritance occurs).  However, data
properties inherit, and so we can't expand variables until after
inheritance.  If you have an unexpanded variable in a shorthand, you
have *no idea* how to expand it into a shorthand until you expand the
variable.  The ordering is thus mixed up.

I think Shane has the right of it, though, with his idea.  We can just
define that shorthands expand into a special form for their longhands
that doesn't require information about what the variable will finally
expand into.  It's not very *useful*, but it does what needs to be
done with a minimum of changes to normal operation.