Re: [css3-images] comments on radial gradients

On 3/15/12 3:56 PM, "Ms2ger" <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Sylvain Galineau
>> <sylvaing@microsoft.com>  wrote:
>>> Well, fwiw, I don't think it's clear English at all. I've never seen this
>>> word
>>> spelled this way, every spell-checker I have on hand flags it and I've never
>>> heard anyone say it that way either. It can't be clear if it's going to look
>>> like a distracting typo to everyone but the editor. And I suspect it will...
>>
>> Dictionaries vary.  "axises" is recognized in at least a few, and a
>> quick google search finds many people (speaking normal English) using
>> the word as I do.
>
> The W3C Spell Checker [1] suggested by the W3C Manual of Style [2]
> doesn't complain about it, that's good enough for me. (It did notice you
> use both "Javascript" and "JavaScript", though.)

The W3C Spell Checker uses Aspell, which apparently does not have 'axises'
in their normal dictionary [1] but does in their 'huge' list of English
words [2]. So far the only references I've been able to find that include
this spelling are very inclusive word lists: 'huge' Aspell and Scrabble. And
the Scrabble dictionary lists it only as a plural for the axis deer [3]. I
expect the 'huge' Aspell list includes it for that reason as well. Do you
have an example of a dictionary that allows 'axises' as a plural for 'axis'?

Google search can show you a lot of interesting spellings. But the number of
"axis axises" results are less than 2% of the number of "axis axes" results.
If I were using search results to determine the correct spelling, I think
I'd go with 'axes' on that basis.

[1]
http://suggest.aspell.net/index.php?word=axises&spelling=american&dict=norma
l&sugmode=slow