Re: Allowing unknown pseudo classes and unknown pseudo element in the selector.

Le 09/03/12 10:01, Florian Rivoal a écrit :

> I don't think we should start allowing unknown pseudos, but I have toyed
> around with the idea that when an error is encountered in a complex
> selector, we should discard that complex selector only, not the entire
> selector list (ie: drop things until the next coma, not the entire
> selector). That's similar to what we do in media queries.

I played with that idea roughly two years ago. Took the 40 top web sites
around the world. Tweaked the stylesheets to simulate the behaviour
you describe above. 37 of them were broken as a consequence because
37 had invalid style rules based on a group of selectors containing
a broken selectors sequence that would harm the rendering if the other
sequences were not invalid themselves...

So a nice idea in theory, an idea that would have severe impact in
practice.

</Daniel>