Re: [css3-images] [css3-gcpm] element() and element()

On Mar 1, 2012, at 03:21, fantasai wrote:

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Simon Fraser<smfr@me.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> element() in the CSS Image case doesn't immediately strike me
>>> as meaning a snapshot of the targeted element. Maybe we should
>>> use something more descriptive, like:
>>>
>>> snapshot() (even though it updates)
>>> replica()
>>> element-image()
>>> imageof()
>
> I think this is a good usability point.

Did somebody already suggest to just use url() and image()?

url(#foo) refers to the element with ID foo in the current document.

Because it's a URL, you can even use Xpointer to refer to elements without IDs. And there is a Community Group[1] that is proposing to extend Xpointer to allow CSS selectors and not only XPath.

And a second advantage: If you can use url(), then you can automatically also use attr(), because attr() can be a URL, too:

    A:local-link:after { content: "(" attr(href, url) ")" }

(And a possible third advantage: If you use url() and attr(), then you can also use the target-text() that GCPM proposes in case you want just the text of the referenced element and not the style.)

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/cssselfrags/

Bert